Friday, July 31, 2009

Reminder for Repped Week

Just a reminder. If you're a repped writer and still haven't made your first sale, you have til the end of tomorrow (Saturday) to get your script in to me. Some writers/agents have expressed reservations about sending in material as the exposure of the script would make it difficult to sell. Obviously, this is something that's never been done before so you have no idea what the response will be. But even if that concerns you, maybe this is a strong script you already went out with at a bad time in the marketplace. Maybe it's a script you - the writer - think is your best work but it's a hard sell. Maybe something similar got snatched up, preventing your own sale, even though your script was immeasurably better. This could be that second chance you're looking for.

Anyway, here's the original post (oh, it's now FIVE scripts instead of four):

So I'm doing something different next week. I want to give five writers a chance to get some exposure. The only catch is you have to have agency representation and not yet have sold a script. If you meet those requirements, send me your script, your agency, and a logline. I'll take the five most interesting loglines and review those scripts Monday-Thursday. If you don't want your script posted or you won't be able to take a potentially negative review, then you shouldn't participate. I know a lot of you unrepresented writers are crying foul here but there's a reason I'm only allowing represented writers. First, I don't want to be inundated with 10,000 e-mails. But more importantly, this is an exercise to review scripts from writers who *were* able to land representation, but have not yet been able to sell a script. What's the difference in quality between a represented and an unrepresented writer? What's the difference in quality between a represented writer and a represented writer with a sale? Is the difference merely a matter of luck? That's what I want to explore. Who knows? Maybe we'll find something great. Send the scripts to this e-mail: Carsonreeves2@gmail.com. There is no guarantee your script will be chosen but you have my word that I will delete all scripts I don't use. Deal?

Okay, now let's make one of you guys a millionaire.

Edit: I've decided to allow Manager representation as well. Though the choices will be weighted to favor agency representation.

Accepting submissions until: Saturday, August 1st, 11:59pm Pacific Time