Friday, July 17, 2009

Bye Bye 500 Days Of Summer


500 Days of Summer came out today which means, as an officially released film, it must be officially released from my Top 25. :( So sad. Let me go on the record, however, about the casting of the film, which I think they got all wrong. Summer is supposed to be the world's biggest bitch. There's a distance to her. She does not own a heart. Casting Zooey Deschenel is a "Hollywood" attempt to fend off the character's unlikeability - the thinking being that if Zooey Deschenel is doing all these terrible things, we'll still love her. But it totally undermines the character. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who's a great actor, is wrong for Tom for the exact opposite reason. Gordon's got a tortured James Dean quality to him. Tom's supposed to be a spineless schmuck that lets people walk all over him. Imagine a slightly better-looking Michael Cera. Gordon-Levitt's eyes don't scream out "take advantage of me." Of course, the financers/producers usually give the filmmakers a list of actors that are marketable enough to justify the budget. So for all I know, the other choices could've been Lindsey Lohan and Zac Efron. Maybe these were the best options off a very short list. But anyway, I'll stop raining on this parade. The movie appears to be getting excellent reviews and still to this day has the best opening three pages of any screenplay I've read.

PAGE ONE -- NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IS A WORK OF FICTION. ANY RESEMBLANCE TO PERSONS LIVING OR DEAD IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL.

PAGE TWO -- ESPECIALLY YOU JENNY BECKMAN.

PAGE THREE - BITCH.

Check out my brief review of the script from long ago here. I hope to be proved wrong about the casting - very wrong - when I check out the movie this week. :)